Question: What is the sum of 2 + 2?
An accountant will say, “What do you want the answer to be?”
A mathematician will say, “I believe it is 4 but I will have to prove it.”
A statistician will say, “The population is too small to give an accurate answer but on the basis of the data supplied the answer lies between 3 and 5.”
An economist will say, “Based on today’s thinking the answer is 4 but the answer may be different tomorrow”.
An engineer will say, “The answer is 4 but, adding a safety factor, we will call it 5”.
A new study found that ⅔ of people cannot add or subtract fractions correctly, the other ½ can.
The Top 10 Things Engineering School didn’t teach:
- There are at least 10 types of capacitors;
- Theory tells you how a circuit works, not why it does not work;
- Not everything works according to the specifications in the operation manual;
- Anything practical you learn will be obsolete before you use it, except the complex maths, which you will never use.
- Always try to fix the hardware with software.
- Engineering is like having an 8.00am class and a late afternoon lab every day for the rest of your life.
- Overtime pay? What overtime pay?
- Managers, not engineers, rule the world.
- If you like junk food, caffeine and all-nighters, go into software.